Vivint Authorized Retailer Eugene
Smart Security Specialists -- Your Vivint Authorized Dealer Covering Eugene & Surrounding Areas

Common causes of residential fires in Eugene and how to prevent them

September 25, 2023
Man surprised by smoke pouring out of oven

There are numerous perils you need to think about as a property owner. Fire is foremost among them, as it can occur in various places and anytime. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated an astounding $8.9 billion in property damage throughout the United States due to residential fires in 2021. That same year, there were more than 350,000 documented fires. Thankfully, there are actions you can take to keep them from taking place|. Learn more about the causes and how to prevent house fires in Eugene.

What sparks residential fires in Eugene?

Fires can sprout up in any spot and without warning, whether caused by a smoldering cigarette in a garbage can or an ignored stovetop. Here are the top causes of residential fires.

  • Cooking: Incidents in the kitchen are the most frequent sorts of residential fires in Eugene and elsewhere. Neglected stovetops are the main origin, so always keep an eye on that smoking skillet when making a meal. It’s also important to note that dumping water on a grease fire will only make things worse.
  • Heating: Area heaters are well known for causing residential fires. Running them for lengthy time periods can result in internal components wearing down and catching fire. Placing heaters next to combustible materials like blankets and curtains or using frayed cords can also lead to disastrous results. Other heating devices, such as fireplaces and furnaces, might cause fires and need to be checked regularly.
  • Electrical: Outdated wiring, defective outlets, and overburdened extension cords are some ways electrical problems lead to fires. Don’t ever operate an appliance with a damaged cord, and ensure combustible materials like paper aren’t placed on a lampshade, get it investigated right away.
  • Candles: If there's a flame, there's the potential for fire. Residential fires from candles are still all too common and typically result from carelessness. Placing candles next to combustible materials like drapery or leaving them within range of an inquisitive pet will often produce disastrous results.
  • Smoking: In spite of the overall decline in smoking nationwide, it’s still an unquestionable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated that 7,800 residential fires were a result of smoking in 2021. Falling asleep while holding a cigarette or discarding smoldering ashes carelessly can give rise to devastating results.

The best way to prevent house fires in Eugene is to steer clear of careless behavior. Always pay attention when cooking, never leave a candle unattended, and get rid of cigarettes properly. If you have to run a space heater, do so sparingly and invest in one that offers an automatic shut-off feature in the event it is knocked over.

Safeguard your home with a monitored fire alarm in Eugene

You need to have smoke detectors on each floor and consider using more next to sleeping quarters. But you can take your protection a step further with a monitored fire alarm. These modern safety features will not only detect smoke but can also be tripped due to elevated heat levels. Furthermore, because they integrate into your modern smart home, they’ll alert you and your monitoring specialists whenever a crisis takes place. This is a nice perk, specifically when you’re not around to hear the alarm and phone the fire department.

Protect against known dangers with a Vivint smart home in Eugene

Elevate the safety of your residence today with a Vivint smart home. You can custom design our systems with monitored fire alarms, CO detectors, and flood sensors. You’ll be thankful for the instant notifications to your mobile device and the reassurance that you enjoy with professional monitoring. Dial (541) 313-4091 to speak with a skilled Vivint professional.